Constipation is a common condition that affects everyone at some point. It is an inability to clear out the bowel once a day is termed as constipation. It is characterized by restricted bowel movement. It is generally accomplished by strain during defecation and hard stool.
It is generally common to have a few occasional episodes of constipation but long term it can cause chronic constipation.
- Eating inadequate amount of food
- Irregular eating habits
- Lack of exercise
- Poor digestive system or Gut issues
- Inadequate amount of water intake
- Eating a little amount of good fats like Ghee or oil in food
- Eating dry or stale food
- Eating too much preserved food etc.
- Old age
The common symptoms of constipation if neglected then it can lead to severe complications like,
- Plies or fissures
- Pain or cramps in lower limbs especially in the thighs
- Rectal Bleeding
Ayurveda always focuses on treating root causes rather than just treating the symptoms. At Ayurvidhi Clinic we follow the same principle while treating any kind of illness. Changes in diet and lifestyle help to treat constipation.
- Adding a certain amount of ghee to a regular diet helps to lubricate the intestine and clear the bowel of those who have complaints of hard stool.
- Including fruits like figs, black-seeded raisins, and papaya can help.
- Avoiding maida and adding whole wheat flour to your diet can help to increase fibers, which helps to overcome constipation.
- Eat at regular intervals of time making it a complete wholesome food.
Medicinal Treatment or Shaman Chikitsa:
- Triphala Churna about three grams at night with lukewarm water can be better for people having Kapha dominancy.
- Castor Oil about 1 to 2 tablespoons (according to your gut health) with lukewarm water can help people of vaata dominancy.
- For Pitta dominancy and having complaints of acidity along with constipation Avipattikar Churna 3 gram with warm water can be beneficial.
Basti Chikitsa is usually recommended for improving gut health & clearing the rectum effectively. It not just clears the rectum and flux out the toxins, but it lubricates the inner layer of the rectum and prevents further episodes of constipation. The Basti lower the vitiated vaata doshas which is one of the main causes for Constipation.
At Ayurvidhi clinic we practice basti treatment for elevated vaata dosha. We use Niruha Basti (Kadha Basti) and Anuvasana Basti (Tail Basti) alternately to pacify vaata doshas which also helps to reduce constipation.
Basti Chikitsa is also useful in constipation during pregnancy. It is safe to use and has no any kind of side-effect. It helps to flush out the constipated excreta part and also helps to strengthen the muscles for delivery.
It is advised for patients having severe constipation. It is a purgation medicine that helps to remove severe adherent toxins or waste material from the colon. It is beneficial for pitta doshas.
It is generally advised to do in Sharad Rhutu (Autumn) as a healthy ritual to do every year to detoxify the body from the ill effects of Pitta imbalance secreted in the body throughout the year.
At Ayurvidhi Clinic Ayurvedic Panchakarma Treatment Centre we provide the best Ayurvedic treatment and panchakarma therapy.
Do try to do simple exercises to get rid out of the constipation naturally.
Suryanamaskar: Doing regular Suryanamaskar helps to stretch the muscles of the abdomen and squeezes internal organs with the right amount of pressure to secrete gastric enzymes to help digestion which also helps bowel movements easily.
Some asanas like Pawan Muktaasan, Padangusthasan, Malasana, Vajrasana, etc. can help treat constipation.
If you are young or you don’t have any knee pain then slow running is the best option for exercise. 10 to 20 minutes of healthy run also keeps your metabolism on track.
At Ayurvidhi Clinic Ayurvedic Panchakarma Treatment Centre we provide the best Ayurvedic & Panchakarma treatment for constipation and other gastric problems.